Tuesday, March 20, 2007

2007 50 Book Challenge: Book Four - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling

This was an easy one but I'm still including it in my 50 books, dammit!

Whenever a new Harry Potter book comes out I will typically read the entire series in full before starting the newest book. With books 5 and 6 though I opted just to read Order of the Phoenix and bypass reading the first 3. So it's been a while since I've read Philosopher's Stone.
And I'm so glad I did. It was almost as wondrous to be introduced to this world in this reading as the first time. There are so many things that I'd forgotten or that have become so much more important. And I've watched the movie so much more often than I've read the book, so much of what I do remember has come from the movie. There are so many details that have been excluded from the movie or changed for visual effect. It was really good to be able to use the descriptions JKR writes to get that picture in my mind of setting and characters than to have to rely on the movie.

It is quite a short read as well since it's missing the complexities that the following books contain. It's simply an introduction to the world of magic and the characters that will make the next books in the series so complete.

Let's see... my favourite Philosopher's Stone moment?
you know, this is such a hard one. There isn't one moment that I can say is my favourite.
What I do like about this book is all the little details of Harry Potter's world and the nostalgia of going back to the beginning with these characters that I feel I know so well but have rediscovered new things about them yet again.
I also like that Harry's not so angry. :( He's not yet been bogged down in being a boy hero wizard.

On to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home